Literature is a representation of the most vital and enduring aspects of human life through language. Teaching of literature aims at the dissemination of moral values and reflection of culture. It prepares students and scholars in becoming polished literate members of the society. Reading of literature gives the enjoyment of life depicted through this high art. Aesthetic pleasure provided by literature remains permanent throughout life.
The importance of language in itself and in literature cannot be overlooked. It is language through which literature is dressed and presented. The study of literature remains incomplete without focusing on the delicacies of the language in which it is expressed.
Linguistics, the scientific study of language, encompasses the description of languages, the study of their origin, and the analysis of how children acquire language and how people learn languages other than their own. Linguistics is also concerned with relationships between languages and with the ways languages change over time. Linguists may study language as a thought process and seek a theory that accounts for the universal human capacity to produce and understand language. Some linguists examine language within a cultural context. Other linguists focus on what happens when speakers from different language and cultural backgrounds interact. Linguists may also concentrate on how to help people learn another language, using what they know about the learner’s first language and about the language being acquired.
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics is one of those departments, which started functioning with establishment of the University of Malakand in 2001. it took a start with just four students and two faculty members, which has now a population of more than a hundred and fifty students with fourteen faculty members. The Department has been the first in the province to introduce 4-Year BS (Hons) degree in English, which laid equal emphasis on English Language, Literature and Linguistics with the opportunity of research.
- To provide qualified professionals in the field of English literature and linguistics to meet the future needs of educational institutions and the society
- To train and nurture their literary, creative and imaginative abilities
- To equip them with the knowledge of history, nature and scope of spoken and written language, genres of literature, and applied research
- To educate them in the study of comparative literatures to enhance their ability to understand complex ideas, texts, view-points and literary styles
- To train the students in the study of the nature and functioning of communication and make them well-equipped with technical skills of language learning and teaching,
- To broaden students’ horizon towards better learning and understanding of humanity
Marketability of the Graduates / Job Opportunities
- Civil Services, public relations, non-governmental organizations, business, social sector, journalism, media and mass communications
- Educational institutions including schools, colleges and universities
- Interpreters/translators in public/private sector, media etc.