Department of Bio-Technology
HEC Curricula of BS Bio-Technology |Degree Programs | Faculty Members
The last three decades of this century saw the concurrent developments of a number of novel and new techniques in biological sciences that not only advanced research tremendously but also carried with them the promise of improvement in the life standard of mankind.
Studies pertaining to animal physiology and cell biology revealed possibilities unlimited for employing complex biological materials to be used in diagnosis and therapy in human medicine following the lead of insulin treatment for diabetes
Biotechnology not only contributed by developing biological processes complementary to chemical technologies but also provided economical, efficient, clean, pollution free biological technologies. The production of sophisticated bio-chemicals including drugs diagnostics and bacterial leaching of metals from ores by these biotechnological industries has not only replaced the inefficient, resource consuming, often pollution producing chemical technologies but also have exerted an environmental impact by slowing down the depletion of valuable non- renewable resources.
Biotechnology thus, can be defined as industrial processes based on biological systems involving naturally occurring microorganism that have been modified by genetic engineering or isolated cells of plants or animals and the genetic manipulation of cell to produce new strains of plants or animals. Hence use of various biological processes to make products and perform services can be considered encompassed by Biotechnology: and its essential components, therefore, are biological processes which are based on living cells and biochemical molecules like proteins, DNA, RNA, thus making a practical use of the recent scientific advances in areas like molecular genetics.
Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary approach having the ability to tailor the genetic material of living organisms. It is expected to bring revolution in human lives in the 21st century as physics did in the 20th century.
The department of Biotechnology was established in 2001. Since then it offers admission in 4-Year BS (Honors) program.
- To provide quality education in the fields of Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Molecular Biology and other related fields
- To encourage research activities, exploring variety of technically feasible projects having socio-economic importance
- To produce quality manpower that can fulfill the needs of tomorrow and compete in national and international arena of research and development
Marketability and Job Opportunities
- Federal & provincial public sector departments like Education, Forestry, Wild Life, Horticulture, Floriculture, Agriculture, Research sector, Health, food and pharmaceutical industries
- Research institutions and organizations like AZRI, PARC, PCSIR, NIH, PMNH, NIFA, WFO, PASTIC and Pharmaceuticals
- Private sector organizations
- NGOs (local, National and international)
HEC Curricula of BS Bio-Technology | Degree Programs | Faculty Members